Sunday 16 June 2013

Steel, glass and fast cars - a day in Canary Wharf




Another blonde moment: I signed up for one of the photographic meet up groups to go and explore the Motorexpo, which takes place this weekend in Canary Wharf, but I completely missed the information that the meeting time was 11:00, not 11:45. So, I missed it, which turned out not to be such a bad thing. I just took my camera and went for a wander.




Canary Wharf is the financial district of London, located in the eastern part of the city. Here is where the magic happens: big corporations, such as Citi Bank and HSBC, make big bucks - bigger than you and I will make in our entire lifetime.
The area consists of glass buildings, which during a sunny day, when the sky is blue, shine and reflect the surroundings around them. There are restaurants, bars, cafes, and a shopping mall - everything what a busy businessman needs during a working day.

One of the main buildings you will see when you come out of the station
The Thames River is just around the corner, which makes Canary Wharf a nice location to work in - imagine all the lunches you could have, sitting on a bench and enjoying your sandwich and a cappuccino, bought in one of those posh restaurants.

There is a lovely walkway around the river, with bars and cafes to stop for a pint 

Personally I prefer parks and green spaces, but I must admit that Canary Wharf is one of my favourite locations to photograph. I love the shiny glass and concrete, which in this case are mixed together in a perfect harmony.

There is a lot of glass in Canary Wharf

Even the station looks like it's been made just to photograph it at different light.

Canary Wharf station

This weekend the area hosted one of the most prestigious cars exhibitions - Motorexpo. There were vehicles for a normal citizen, like BMW, Volvo, and Audi, but the most interest caught the ones which usually are only available for those a little bit more lucky in life. Ferraris were all polished and shiny, standing next to Maseratis and Aston Martins.

Nice bum :) 




There was also something for the youngest ones.

A miniature of London with a mobile control car


Kids need to have fun, too

I'm not such a big fan of fast cars and I tried to capture some of the details, but I got bored and tired, so made my way to take some sneaky photos of the people around.





More information:
  • Canary Wharf is located in East London
  • You can get there by taking the Jubilee Line or an overground train
  • During the week the area is full of people. During weekends and bank holidays it is deserted and can be a really nice place to relax and enjoy the river
  • Photographing using tripod is prohibited.



No comments:

Post a Comment